Wednesday, April 03, 2002

At the risk of going out on a limb I'm going to tell you a very enlightening, very true, story.

I went to a doctor in our small community...he was a government-provided physician of his type for indigent people or those with no insurance..I fell into the latter category. Now, keep in mind, for the entire population of our county, those people that have no insurance or could not pay for their care went to this guy. Well, I thought I needed one type of medicine and he was disagreeing. I was explaining to him why I felt that way, that I was not better, that I needed more, better, help. He said, and unfortunately I quote "Well, we are not going for perfection here...and I'm ok with that." Hand to God! I said, "well, as long as YOU are ok with it, because that's what's really important right?" He says "Well, I AM the doctor." (imagine big puffed up chest here)..I said, "well, I AM the patient." You can see, we got nowhere.

That's just a little glimpse of what it's like out here in the medical wasteland.

Dance

No comments: